At the beginning of the year everyone resolves to buy a gym membership. Isn’t it ironic that most of the folks that buy those memberships don’t use them? If you have ever had a membership to a fitness center or club, then you know this all too well.
Most likely, you were excited to make the changes and you went every day until you had a bad day. You didn’t feel like going, or a friend invited you out. You work a lot, and you decided that it’s time for a night out with friends. This is no problem, but then it keeps popping up. Now, you go on a rare occasion.
You don’t really need to buy a membership to a gym to get in shape. Today, I’ll share with you 5 reasons that you don’t need a gym membership, and how you can get into great shape in your own home.
A Gym Membership Is Expensive
Did you know that a gym membership can be one of the most expensive things you’ll ever purchase? If you aren’t sure that you’ll go often, don’t buy one. Here are 5 good reasons not to buy one.
1. Unless you intend to train for a specific purpose, you’ll get lost in the shuffle. Gyms are really ideal for those that train for bodybuilding as well as for athletics. Unless you are in a special program and you need specific equipment or a trainer, don’t worry about buying a membership.
2. It’s a pick-up joint. Honestly, many men and women join hoping to meet someone. Even if they want to get into better shape, their focus is on meeting someone hot. If you are going to the gym to workout, the focus should be on you!
3. It’s easy to lose focus. When you join a club or gym, it’s easy to lose your focus. Going to the gym without any training means you’ll get lost in the sea of treadmills and other stuff. Don’t let this happen to you. If you do join, get plugged in with a trainer or someone to help you select a class to start until you work up to greater activity.
4. A studio is a better option. Whether or not you believe you need a coach is up to you, but everyone needs a coach. Even the best coaches have their own coach. This helps with accountability, and a fitness studio allows for more customized workout plans and the training is more focused. One on one training is a great thing, and it’s worth the money you’ve spent.
5. Work out at home programs. There are now tons of options to help you work out at home. One of the most popular is the P90X series. These programs are great because they are focused, give guidance with nutrition, and while you use the DVD it’s like having your very own coach right in your living room.
Working out is important, but it’s about working out with what is best for you. Your body isn’t like mine (you should be thrilled! ), but you’ll have your own unique health needs. Talk with your doctor first about what your goals are, and ask their opinion on what they recommend.
Once you get the green light, start looking for a way to get connected with a studio if you can, or start with an in home program. Don’t let a gym membership intimidate you when you don’t have to.
What Gym do you go to? I used to go to Planet Fitness
Make Today Count